Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wildflowers of Utah

I checked out a book from the library the other day called, Wasatch Wildflowers: A Field Guide. It is a newly published book. I was so excited to discover that it is the first useful guide to the wildflowers of Utah that I have found. I have checked out a handful of other titles but none of them have ever helped me identify the flowers I have seen while hiking.

I went back through some of my hiking pictures. It was so much fun to finally identify these plants.

Alfalfa (who knew!)

Showy Milkweed. Dry Canyon Trail

I think this Monkshood. Timpooneke trail to Scout Falls has some of the most beautiful wildflowers.

Parry's Primrose. Timpooneke trail right next to Scout Falls.


Colorado Columbine. Timpooneke Trail.

Silvery Lupine (purple flowers) and Common Paintbrush (orange flowers). Timpooneke Trail.


Mulesears. Squaw Peak Trail. Hike this trail at just the right time of year and you will see a whole field of these flowers.




I think this is Elderberry. Big Springs Trail.



Leafy Jacobsladder. Timpooneke Trail.




I think this is Showy Stickseed. Rock Canyon Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment