Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm a Mocker

The other day I was flipping channels and I noticed The Beatles mockumentary, A Hard Days Night, was on TV.

If you've never seen this or the Beatles' other films, you absolutely must! Watching it again brought back such nostalgic feelings. My friend's parents, who were in a band, had recorded all of them. We used to go over to his house and watch them all the time.

The basic gist of the film is that the Beatles, along with their managers, and Paul McCartney's (fake) grandfather are headed from Liverpool to London for a show. The film follows them through all the crazy things they get up to along the way.

John, Paul, Ringo and George make fun of pretty much everyone, including themselves and their fame. This film is very much about how different the young generation was from the stayed old fuddy-duddies of the older generations. Watching it again I was struck by the genius of it. It is definitely worthy of it's cult classic status.

The title of my post makes reference to an interview with Ringo. A lady asks him if he considers himself a mod or a rocker, and he replies, "Uh, no, I'm a mocker."  I love it!

You can find the whole show broken into pieces on YouTube. This part has the "mocker" line at the very end of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment