Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

Yes, in this scenario I am the old dog.

The other day, out of no where, I suddenly wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I have never before in my life felt this desire. I played the flute and the piccolo through middle school, junior high, and high school and loved every minute of it, but I was kinda burnt out after that. So I'm not exactly sure where this desire came from.

The last time I tried to learn something new it was a embarrassing mess. A few years ago I wanted to learn how to swim properly. I have never been afraid of the water and actually love to go swimming, but I was never taught how to swim laps and I wanted to know how to do this. So after looking around, I discovered that the Provo Rec offers adult swimming lessons. This seemed perfect for me until I got to the pool the first day and discovered that not only was I the only "adult" that had signed up, but my teacher was a fresh out of high school young man. I had to show up in a bathing suit once a week for two months and try to learn several different swimming strokes by a boy who clearly did not know how to teach an adult. It was utterly humiliating and I am sad to say that I did not progress at the rate I or my "teacher" had hoped for.

That horrific experience aside, I think it is important to keep learning new things and experiencing new things. You just have to be prepared that you might be embarrassed along the way. So maybe if I can find a guitar I will try to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment