Monday, September 13, 2010

What I Read

So if you asked me to put in order what genres I read from most to least read, it would look something like this:

Fantasy
Contemporary Classics
Teen Fiction
Historical Fiction
Paranormal
Chick-Lit
Romance
Nonfiction
Suspense/Thrillers
Mystery

Which is why I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed the book I just finished reading.


Juliet
by a newer author, Anne Fortier.

This book, which could be considered a Da Vinci Code read-alike falls to the bottom of the genres I enjoy reading, and yet I could hardly put it down.

At one point while I was reading the book, I realized that take away the modern dialogue and add in some overly detailed descriptions of the scenery and Juliet is almost exactly like Mystery writer Mary Stewart whose novels almost always follow this outline:

A young single girl alone in a foreign country accidentally gets embroiled in some local conspiracy, meets a mysterious man whom she is drawn to but who may or may not be on her side, and ends up solving the case without his help.

So apparently if a Mystery or Suspense book follows this exact plot line then I like it, but otherwise I just really don't care.

Also, while I adore Mary Stewart novels, I've never actually met anyone else who likes to read them. Boring and slow is what I usually hear from people. So even though I am thrilled with the connection I made, it really won't help me when suggesting books to other people, however I would definitely recommend Juliet.

Go here to read my review of the novel, Juliet.

No comments:

Post a Comment