Saturday, September 18, 2010

?!?? Flamingo

The new Brandon Flowers solo album, Flamingo, came out on Tuesday. I had already listened to his single, Crossfire that came out about a month ago. I liked the song (didn't love it). It is very catchy, plus the music video is hilarious. Brandon Flowers keeps getting captured by ninjas who want to torture him for some reason and Charlize Theron, with bad-ass skills, has to keep saving him which she seems none too pleased about.



Anyways, I couldn't wait for the library to purchase the album (my way of previewing albums before I decide if I like them enough to buy). So I bought the MP3 from Amazon. I love instant gratification.

I'm not exactly sure what to think about the album. I just can't pinpoint what I don't like. There are a lot of ballad like songs which isn't necessarily a bad thing (The Killers have some ballads). The album is definitely more pop/main stream than The Killers, but this isn't always a bad thing. The album kinda reminds me of Erasure (there is a lot of synth). I like synth. And from what I've read, Flamingo's been getting decent reviews. So why don't I like it more?

This is obviously Flowers' ode to his home town, Las Vegas. The first song is in fact called Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas. And it is the perfect example of how I feel about the album. Which is that one minute I love it and am marveling over Flowers' vocals and the next I am cringing over his vocals.

The songs I like the best are:

Only the Young
Magdalena
Crossfire
Swallow It

No comments:

Post a Comment