Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fall Hiking

Now that it is officially Fall, I decided I needed to go on a hike to see all the beautiful Fall colors. I went to Battle Creek Canyon in Pleasant Grove. You have to hike up a ways to get to the the trees that are starting to change color, but it is beautiful once you get up there.

Bragging moment: I hiked all the way from the trailhead to the top of Battle Creek Falls without stopping once. That last bit before you reach the top is brutal. I also hiked it in under 15 minutes. It is a little less that a mile to get above the waterfall.




I was also excited because I finally found the connector trail to Dry Canyon. I've looked at maps and I know these two trails connect, but the only time I've tried was from the Dry Canyon side. I ended up on a cliff high above Battle Creek Canyon and I couldn't figure out where the trail went down into the canyon. Now that I know where the connection is in Battle Creek, I can follow it from there. I really wanted to do it today, but I just didn't have time. In fact, I was so short on time that I did one of my favorite things to do which is to run back down the canyon. I love that feeling of being out of control running down the mountain, but you have to be careful and not get too out of control. I'm pretty good at doing this.

What I am not good at is traversing log bridges. Something about crossing over water on uneven or wobbly bridges always gets me into trouble. Yes, I had a little mishap today. On the bright side, the water felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment