Wednesday, November 3, 2010

We Grow Our Neon Trees Locally

Tonight I went with KK to see a Neon Trees concert at SLCC. I read recently in Entertainment Weekly that they are predicting Neon Trees will be the next big Indie band. What's cool about that is they hail from a little town you may have heard of before known as Provo, Utah.

I quite enjoyed the concert. We had great seats. I did, however, feel very old. The vast majority of the concert goers were SLCC students with a few screaming teeny-bopper girls added in to the mix.

It was quite a performance. Neon Trees lead singer performed like he was in front of a much larger audience, but I quite liked that about him. I liked that he put in all the effort to get the crowd excited. I was a little worried for a while as he (over the course of a few songs) removed almost every article of clothing except his pants and shirt. He even took off his shoes and socks. KK reminded me of a similar experience at an Erasure concert where the lead singer ended up in gold-lame hot pants. Apparently I had blocked that horrific image from my memory.

It's also really cool that Neon Trees has a female drummer. Unless, it's an all girl band, you almost never see one.

What I didn't like (and this goes for all shows) is how they always shine those lights right in your eyes. Whoever came up with the idea to set rotating lights directly on the stage so they can shine out into the audience, needs to be tortured (perhaps making using of bright flashing lights).

No comments:

Post a Comment