Monday, November 8, 2010

Let's Shuffle Up and Deeaall!

Anyone like Poker?

I can't say that I'm a huge fan, but what I do love is the World Series of Poker. If you haven't heard of it before, it is an annual poker tournament held at the Rio in Las Vegas. There are several different poker games played, but the best is the Main Event where they play no-limit Texas Hold'em Poker. Every one who wants to play has to pay $10,000 to enter (although there are some ways to win a seat). The final man (I say man because a woman has never won) wins a portion of the total buy-in money. The total varies from year to year depending on the number of participants, but ranges from $7-12 million. The winner also gets a giant garish bracelet to lord over the losers.

I love to watch the whole tournament on TV. Poker has the most awesome characters. Like Phil Hellmuth, the Poker Brat, who has to make these huge entrances like dressing up as cesar and being carried in on a bed by scantily clad burly men. Or Mike "the Mouth" Matasou who is a ticking time bomb you get to watch explode every year (until he found his zen place just recently and now just lets it all role off his back).

The commentators are awesome as well. Lon McEachern and Norman Chad have these running jokes that continue right where they left off the year before. They make fun of the players, comment on great and terrible plays, and generally make the competition into Entertainment.

Tomorrow is the Final Table where the last 9 players will play to the death. It is intense.

I'm kinda upset though because I forgot to set up my Tivo to record it this year so I haven't seen any of the tournament so far. They will show everything in reruns, but I will have to wait until I watch the earlier shows to find out who wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment