Monday, November 15, 2010

Getting to Happier

I just finished a very interesting book called, Happier: Learn the Secrets to Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment by Tal Ben-Shahar. This is not the type of book I would normally pick up, but I had to choose a self-help book for an assignment at work and since I remembered seeing the author on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart several years ago, I decided to give it a try. I'm very glad I did. Not because I'm happier after having read it (although I'm sure I could be if I followed all the advice), but I just found the content so fascinating.

First of all, so much of the book covers what I whole-heartedly believe in. For example, the book explains that we need to find meaning and happiness in our everyday lives AND invest, make goals, and so on towards our future happiness. Just doing one or the other (or neither) will not make you happy.

Second, I found the scientific research so interesting. For example, Ben-Shahar discusses a study done on people who won the lottery and another study on people who became quadriplegic. The research showed that both groups were not necessarily happier or sadder after a year or so. People tend to work their way back to their happy norm even after major life changing events.

Here is one of my favorite quotes from the book which was actually from another book called, A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

No comments:

Post a Comment