Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It Depends on What You Want

You know what really strikes fear into my heart? I mean apart from being jabbed with a needle.

When a patron comes up to the desk and asks, "Can you do me a favor?" or "Could you help me with something?"

Why, why, why do you have you ask your question this way? Can't you just ask, "I need your help with the computer" or "would you look over this document for me?"

It concerns me greatly that I have no idea what I am agreeing to. I know I should just say, "Sure. What do you need?" But what I really want to say is, "It depends on what you want."

I have, however, found a way of circumventing this problem. Now, when a patron asks for a favor instead of answering I just say, "Why don't you tell me what you need." That way I can let them know that I am willing to help but haven't actually agreed to anything.

Yes, I am an evil genius.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant. It always makes me nervous too, so I usually hem and haw.

    ReplyDelete