Sunday, October 17, 2010

Japan Day 8

No pictures today because I didn`t know I`d be able to add them. When I asked about the computers at our hotel in Osaka, I was told there was free wireless but I had to rent a computer. Then when I went to the Business center, there is no wireless but all the computers are free to use. Very confusing. Which is pretty much par for the course in Osaka. There are far fewer English language signs and the translations are much worse. This is the most confused I have been in Japan.

Before we made it to Osaka, we took a side trip from Kyoto to Nara. Nara is the city where the first permanent imperial city was built way back in the 700s and before it was moved to Kyoto. They are actually celebrating their 1300 anniversary this year. There were lots of various celebrations going on through the area (Buddhist monk rituals, folk dancing and singing, etc.) and tons and tons of people.

In Kyoto we were told by our English tour guide that 39 million people visit Kyoto a year but only 700,000 of them are foreigners. Those Japanese really like to travel.

So tomorrow is our last full day in Japan and then we start the long, long, very, very long journey back to the U.S. It starts with a 4 1/2 train trip from Osaka to the Tokyo airport, which isn`t really even near Tokyo. I will try to blog tomorrow, but then you probably won`t hear from me for a while or maybe you will since to me it will be long but really I will be making up time. For example, our flight arrives in Seattle 2 hours earlier than when we left Tokyo. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment