Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Costuming

This year for Halloween I have not one but two costumes. That's a 200% increase over last year. Why you may ask do I need two costumes? That's because neither of them are for actual Halloween. They are both for work. One costume is for the previously mentioned Scary Stories in the Attic and the other is for an as yet unmentioned awesome program called Teen Book Fest. You might also ask why I couldn't just wear the same costume to both programs? Well the programs just called for different types of costuming.

Costume 1: Zombie (aka undead summer reader). Scary Stories in the the Attic calls for a scary costume. I discovered that I'm not very good at being undead. To really pull it off you need to stay in character. I kept smiling. Zombies don't smile.

Costume 2: Steampunk girl. The Teen Book Fest has snagged an awesome feature author, Scott Westerfeld. You may know his Uglies series. His most recent work is in the Steampunk sub-genre of Sci-fi. If you are unfamiliar with Steampunk, let me tell you a little about it. Steampunk sets its stories in historical Victorian England but mixes in technology that did not exist at that time but which is operated usually by steam power and kerosene which did exist. A Steampunk costume works much the same way. It takes elements of Victorian clothing along with modern clothes and mixes them. I will probably not be any better at being a Steampunk girl since I should probably speak with a Cockney accent.

Incidentally if you want to read some Steampunk books check out the library's booklist.

No comments:

Post a Comment