Monday, October 18, 2010

Japan Day 8 (with pictures)

Kofukuji Temple in Nara. I`m not exactly sure why there was this crazy long line to get into the temple, but man was it long.

 Just when I started to feel like if you`ve seen one temple/shrine then you`ve seen them all, Nara goes and adds deer into the mix. The main historic sites in Nara are set in a woodland park with free roaming deer that will eat special "deer cookies" right out of your hand. The deer were everywhere. I`m surprised they weren`t inside the temples as well.

 Todaji Temple is one of the most famous Budhist Temples in Japan. It not only houses the largest statue of Buddha in Japan but it is also the largest wooden building in the world.  As you can see there was some kind of celebration or ceremony going on.

 Here is the Bronze Buddha statue. The picture doesn`t do justice to how big it is. I was holding my camera above my head so I could get the whole statue in the shot. I think it`s about 50 feet tall.

 Here is my map of Nara after a friendly deer got a little too friendly with me and decided to eat my map for lunch. Fortunately we weren`t going to the areas the deer riped off and ate.

In Japan they like to show you picures of the food you will be eating, but what I can`t figure out is why they show you pictures of the meat before it is cooked. Like that is appetizing or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment