Monday, October 11, 2010

Japan Day 2

We went to Nikko today. It`s a little town about two hours north of Tokyo where one of the super powerful Shoguns set up his territory back in the 12th century. Nikko is up in the mountains (hillscompared to our mountains). It was so green and beautiful with ancient shrines (Shinto) and temples (Budhist) tucked in among the trees.

I wish they`d had a few more  English translations, but it was still amazing.

Famous would carving on stable building with monkeys in hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil positions.

Can`t remember the name of this gate right now, but it is the most elaborate in Japan. They say you could look at it for 400 years before you would see every detail.

I love this guy`s pose and his awesome elephant knee protectors.

It` sacred, people!


Our first real Japanese lunch.
My sister`s lunch. I was very proud of her because she is an extremely picky eater

My tasty lunch. Soba noodles which are made from buck wheat. I`m not sure what the floaty round things were but they were good.

No comments:

Post a Comment