Saturday, December 18, 2010

UNESCO World Heritage Sites

This probably comes from the fact that I was a history major in college, but I have this goal that I want to visit as many World Heritage Sites in my lifetime as I possibly can. Below are the ones I have seen so far. Let me tell you, they are a mere drop in the bucket as you can see from the map below.

The dots represent World Heritage Sites











If you want to learn more about the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Check out their website.

United States


Mesa Verde National Park Colorado
I want to go back.
















Yellowstone National Park Wyoming
















Grand Canyon National Park Arizona

















Redwood National and State Parks California


















Costa Rica






Area de Conservación Guanacaste
















Czech Republic



Historic Center of Prague


















Greece
Not surprisingly, Greece has a lot of world heritage sites. I didn't even see half of them.





Acropolis, Athens

















Archaeological site at Delphi (my favorite)



















Medieval City of Rhodes
















Meteora (my next favorite)















Sanctuary of Asklepios at Epidaurus
















Archaeological site of Olympia
















Archaeological site of Mycenae and Tiryns


















Hungary




Historic Budapest
I didn't expect to love it as much as I did.


















Japan




Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto (Kyoto, Uji and Otsu Cities)
There are 17 World Heritage Sites just in Kyoto!


















Historic Monuments of Ancient Nara

















Shrines and Temples of Nikko
(I can't decide whether I like Nikko or Kyoto better)



















Poland




Krakow's Historic Center
Cute little Medieval town. I highly recommend it.

















Historic Center of Warsaw
Almost everything in Warsaw was destroyed during WWII.
So everything that is "historic" is really only about 50 years old. Kinda sad.
















Turkey




Cappadocia
AMAZING!

















Historic Areas of Istanbul
AMAZING!

















Hierapolis - Pamukkale
AMAZING!

















Archaeological Site of Troy
meh...

No comments:

Post a Comment