Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What I Like About Who

My sister and I have been watching the new Doctor Who for our weekly get together and we finally finished the 5th season (all that is currently available in the US). Before starting, I'd heard from other people that the first Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, is their least favorite Doctor, but man it was hard sticking it out even with the warning.

Fortunately, the second season was a vast improvement over the first both in the new Doctor, David Tenant, and in the story. I actually became quite fond of David Tenant in the end.

What I liked most about the show was the emphasis on what amazing beings we humans are, and not just humanity as a whole, but how important we are as individuals. There were several episodes where a minor or supporting character, even though they think their life is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, is shown to be invaluable to the progression of the entire universe.

Example quote:
The Doctor: "Who's that?" (asking about a woman that has been cryogenically frozen)
Scrooge like character: "Nobody important."
The Doctor: "In 900 years of space and time travel, I've never met anyone who wasn't important."

I must say I quite liked that theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment